Archive - Posts tagged with Real Estate
Carbon monoxide testing
It's important to have any gas heaters tested for carbon monoxide emissions.
With the weather beginning to get cooler and the first signs of autumn starting to appear, it’s a good time to think about having any gas heaters in your investment property tested for CO. In Victoria, 82% of households use gas appliances for heating.*
Do I have to get my gas heaters tested?
While it is not mandatory in Victoria to have gas heaters tested for carbon monoxide emissions, it is recommended by government and industry bodies that gas heaters should be serviced every two years. With regular servicing of appliances, the risk can be reduced of CO poisoning by allowing a licensed gasfitter to check for faulty burner operation, flue blockage and other potential hazards. When an appliance fault results in the production of CO, the concentration of CO can build up in the home and can rise to potentially harmful levels. *
You may be familiar with the sad case where in 2010, two boys in country Victoria died from carbon monoxide fumes, released by a faulty gas heater while they slept. Carbon monoxide is undetectable by sight or smell.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion and chest pain. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness and death.
This service should be considered as part of your risk minimisation strategy for your property.
The service is usually done by either a gas plumber or gas heating specialist who will check for emissions. If the unit is found to be faulty they will disconnect the unit immediately and advise our office. If this should occur, we will consult with you to organise a replacement unit or discuss alternative heating options for the property. We recommend that the service of any gas heaters is done prior to winter, just in case there should be any issues with the heating unit. This gives you some extra time to consider your heating options.
*sourced from "The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from domestic gas appliances", produced by The Allen Consulting Group May 2012
|Displaying 1 to 1 of 1 total item|